The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Friday, January 27, 2012

A Natural Solution to a Gnat Infestation

Last year I had a little gnat infestation that started with a bad bag of Miracle Grow potting soil. By the way, I am never buying MG soils again, organic or their regular type.  Well, I brought my mint plant in to over winter and lo and behold, I started noticing gnats flying everywhere!  I realized a little too late that I had planted the mint in MG soil. :-(  Well, now my basil plants are being over run with gnats as well.  Arrrgh!  I went to Lowe's today, and by the way it's 70 degrees here in January, to look for sticky traps or any other gnat or flying bug traps but discovered they had Venus fly traps!  Tiny ones to boot!!!  What a better way to take care of those little suckers than a man made approach!

The potted Venus fly traps are so teeny tiny that I plopped one in my basil plant....

Watch, tomorrow I'll walk in and the Venus fly traps ( I bought 2) will be huge and fat from eating so many gnats!!!  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment