The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Seed Starting 2013

Last year, I started my seeds in Feb. but the weather started to really warm up earlier than expected and my early Spring planting didn't happen.  So I decided to start some of my seeds now.  Today I started my onion flats, Thai eggplants and Swiss chard.  I also direct sowed red beet seeds in the raised beds.
I started the chard and eggplant in toilet paper rolls like I did last year....
The onions, I decided to try growing them in 1 gallon milk jugs...
I'm growing Japanese bunching onions and red onions this year.  Last year, I broadcasted bunching onion seeds into the raised beds with lackluster results. I don't know if they were crowded out by my collards and kale, but they didn't grow much at all.  So, I hope starting them this way will result in a couple of onions.

I cut empty milk jugs in half but made sure to not cut through the handle part of the container.  This made a small hinge.  I made sure to poke holes in the bottom of the jugs for adequate drainage and filled with seed starting mix.

Then I just broadcasted the seeds on top of the mix.  I didn't bother covering or dusting them with more soil and just watered evenly.  I closed the jugs up and taped them shut with a piece of duct tape just on one side of the container.
These guys were put outside for some good sunlight. I left the caps on but will remove once the onions sprout.  I hope these mini greenhouses will work.  Cross your fingers!  Happy seed starting!



No comments:

Post a Comment