The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Spring Garden Update

This morning I planted out my Korean peppers and Riesentraube tomatoes.  Besides slugs eating everything in sight, the expanded garden is doing o.k.


I added a new watermelon and melon bed....
And placed the ollas I made last year in the bed.  That's just black trash bags covering the soil to get it nice and hot.  All of the melons and watermelons have sprouted already!

The collards and cilantro that I overwintered have started to go to seed.

I went ahead and planted more cilantro seeds and they've already started to sprout.  I'll wait to start more collards in June for a fall crop! 

The slugs have been a constant pain in the a** this year.  I went ahead and decided to buy a commercial-made iron phosphate bait for the slugs and snails. I really didn't want to waste beer for traps anymore.  I did place crushed eggshells in the garden this morning to hopefully attract blue-jays and other birds to root out the slugs.  I'm hoping next month, I'll get the rest of the tomatoes and eggplant transplanted.  It'll be nice to be planting on time this year!  Happy Gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment