The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Harvest + the Bestest Surprise!

My newer bin of worms were ready for harvesting. Most of the worms had moved over and they were getting a bit restless. Today was cloudy and I wasn't looking forward to the task.  I'm usually excited about harvesting castings because then you're able to see any new babies and observe how much the bin has grown. BUT, today was chilly and dreary. :-(  I spread my plastic trash bag on the floor and started scooping up the castings and made two piles.


When you wait a couple of minutes, the worms move down to the bottom to get away from the light.  Then you just scoop the casting from the top. Once you get towards the bottom, you'll end up with a pile of worms that can be easily scooped up and placed back in the bin.



As I was going along, harvesting was going a bit slow, but then I got the BESTEST SURPRISE EVER!!



I received this package from Sacramento, CA!! Opened it up and this is what I found...


Meyer lemons!! These gorgeous yellow jewels were such an amazing sight! They made me so HAPPY and I am not kidding... the sun came out shortly after opening the package!!! This most thoughtful gift really made my day! It was also a sign that I need to move back to Cali sooner than later!!  In the end, I was able to harvest 2 big bags of castings, which I plan to give to my gardening friends.


And a bowl of beautiful sunny California! Thanks Anne and Mrs. and Mr. G.!! And LOVE to all of my Cali peeps! Miss you all and hope to be back some day!


4 comments:

  1. Fun! Those lemons look so super yellow!
    The castings look great too. I'm curious, how do you keep it stored? Do they do fine completely sealed in a plastic bag? Or do they need some air holes to breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually the castings do fine in plastic bags. It is worm poop after all. It can't go too bad. I generally don't poke holes in the bags in order to keep the castings moist. I've heard different things about how soon the castings should be used, though. Some say to use it within 48 hours or the castings will lose their potency. I don't know if that's really true or not. If you can't use it right away, you can also keep it in the fridge for several weeks or dissolve the castings in water to water your plants. I suppose you can dry out the castings, too. They just turn into crumbly little dirt/poop pellets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting about the freshness factor. I've bought a small back of worm castings before from the nursery before. It was super dried out and took a while before it would get wet with watering. Another reason I'm excited about finally having a worm bin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, see and that's why I don't believe the worm castings lose their potency after 48 hours. Maybe they say to use it within 48 hours because it takes so long to re-wet really dried out castings. When it's moist, it just goes right into solution. At any rate, I'm glad I know someone else now who is excited about their worms!! :-)

    ReplyDelete