The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gardening Weekend + Surprises!

Sometimes, I'm real nervous about starting plants from seeds.  REAL nervous.  A lot of times, you just don't know if the seeds are good or bad, but I hate the wait most of all.  What I do love is how some plants just pop up over night!  I started my kale and collards about 2 weeks ago and one day there was nothing happening but the next morning, these cute little sprouts were busting out! Once they really started to grow, I moved them into my greenhouse for some good blast of sun.  I wanted to make sure they didn't get too leggy.  I also moved my chamomile and columbine into the greenhouse as well.
kale on the left and collards on the right
On my windowsill, I started more mint and wanted to try growing more rosemary...

I knew the mint would do well; and I had to start more since I think I may have killed my mint mother plant by re-potting it when it was still a bit weak from the gnat infestation.  The mint, of course, started sprouting roots within a week and half.  The rosemary on the other hand, I just didn't know if it would work or not.  From what I read, you could start more plants by putting rosemary branches in water, other info suggested using a root starter.  Well, I was just about to give up after 3 weeks but the day I went to go throw out the rosemary, there they were, roots!!
Also, at the end of this week, I got a fabulous surprise...... EGGS!!
Fresh from a friend's chickens!!  The little one in the upper left corner is from a bantam chicken!! I can't wait to eat them, and of course, my favorite surprise came all the way from Sacramento...
They came on the rainiest, nastiest day last week!! Thanks Mrs. G!!

This weekend will be busy.... I have to collect worm poop, check my outdoor compost pile and really start laying out my garden plans.  I'm still waiting on my eggplants, hot peppers, impatiens and passion flowers to sprout. :-) Better get to it. Have a lovely weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment