The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday Breakfast: Lemon Kefir Pancakes

I wanted pancakes this morning.  Buttermilk pancakes.  But I don't keep buttermilk around on the regular.  Then I wanted ricotta pancakes but no ricotta on hand either.  I thought about making my own ricotta, but no whole milk on hand.  I looked in the fridge and there it was, my jar of kefir!

Then I got the idea of kefir pancakes.  It's sour, carbonated and the thickness of buttermilk AND no artificial thickening additives like most buttermilk you buy, just milk fermented to perfection.

These pancakes have a very light lemony flavor and are fluffy. I think if you like a more lemony flavor, you can add even more zest.  I think they would be great with fresh fruit or a lemony syrup or even lemon curd.

Lemon Kefir Pancakes

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 to 4 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cups Kefir
2 to 3 Tbsp. milk (to thin out batter)
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
juice of 1 small lemon or 1/2 of large lemon (about 2 to 3 Tbsp.)

Mix all dry ingredients together. Whisk egg in a separate bowl and add to dry ingredients. Add zest, vanilla and Kefir.   Add extra milk if the batter is too thick. Make sure there are no big pockets of dry flour.  Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.  Fry!!! Makes about 2 dozen 3 inch round pancakes.


Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ashley! I actually thought about making these this morning but alas, no lemons today. :-(

    ReplyDelete