The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, October 28, 2012

R.I.P. Orangeglo Watermelons + First Fall Harvest

Yesterday,  I went to check the last watermlon...
My other watermelon had been attacked by some critter and became worm food.  Well, there is a reason why they tell you to keep your melons off the ground because my last watermelon became worm food, too.  :-(  Oh well. It was time to kill the plant anyway.




I also found rogue nasturtium plants. I'm surprised since the watermelon plant was really taking over everything and I had thought the nasturtiums had been choked out.  Go figure.  Tough little buggers.  I may transplant the nasturtiums into one of the other beds.

Another surprise was that I had actually had THREE watermelons.  When I discovered the third watermelon, it had already rotted and was being eaten.  If I had a huge field, I would definitely plant more Orangeglo watermelons.  Next year, I'm going to try a yellow version called Desert King.

Yesterday was also the first Fall harvest of my Korean radishes.  I also thinned out my Kyoto Red carrots, picked a nice bunch of lettuces and arugula, and picked the last of the sweet paprika peppers. 
The Korean radishes are a little strange.  They are hybrid seeds from Kitazawa Seed Co. and I was wondering if there would be some inconsistencies with the shapes of the radishes.  Some look like a typical oblong shaped white radish and others have a bulbous tip, green shoulders and are more rectangular in shape that you normally would expect with Korean bachelor or ponytail radishes.  I guess I'll find out how they taste when I make my favorite Bachelor radish kimchi!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment