The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Korean Pepper Paste (GoChujang) Part 1

I decided to make Korean pepper paste today.  I'm sick of buying the stuff and finding out that the store bought pepper paste has MSG or some other unsavory preservative.  I like to know what I'm eating even more so these days since it seems like food sensitivity is on the rise.  I found this recipe on Maangchi but instead of making the whole recipe, I made half.  It still made a ton, more than enough for 2 people. 

I pretty much followed the recipe except I replaced the rice syrup with corn syrup, which was more readily available.  And I had to mix Kosher salt with sea salt because I ran out of Kosher.  I also did not wait until the mixture completely cooled down before adding the soybean powder and pepper powder.  I think it made it much easier to mix in the fermented soybean powder and pepper powder.  My arm still hurts from stirring, though.  I should also mention that this is NOT gluten free.  I've heard that you can mix white miso with red pepper powder to make a gluten free version.  I may see how that works some other time.

Anyway, this is a serious vat of gochujang!  Now I just have to let it cool down overnight before putting it in jars.  I actually don't think I have enough jars.  Yikes!  I did taste a little bit and it tastes completely different than the store bought stuff.  Right now it's a bit salty but you can taste that it's richer and has a deeper flavor.  I think after it ferments for a couple of months the flavors will be even better.

Here are the quantities for half a recipe:

1 lb. barley malt powder
16 cups water
5 cups sweet rice flour
3.5 cups rice syrup or corn syrup
2 cups fermented soybean powder
8 cups Korean red pepper powder
2 cups Kosher salt

Maangchi has a nice video showing each step of the process.  I was able to use one pot for half the recipe. Oh, and make sure you reserve a full day, it's pretty labor intensive.  I definitely understand why many Koreans don't make gochujang from scratch anymore but I think it will be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment