The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Labor Day Weekend: My Psycho Garden + If You Grow It, They Will Come

Happy Labor Day Weekend!!  Here's what's happening in the garden:

MADNESS!!!

The garden has turned wild, crazy, out-of-control!!  This weekend and probably the rest of the week will probably be my clean up/prep-for-the-fall week.
The squash plants have a mind of their own and have taken over the yard.  Amazingly, considering the amount of rain we've gotten this summer, everything did pretty well.  The melons were a bit of a disappointment, but I was able to get a decent crop.   

The winter squashes ( I have 2 now) are doing well.  My one Upper Ground Sweet Potato squash is just starting to turn orange.  I'm not sure if it was supposed to be this big.

And I think this is a Thai winter squash, but not sure at the moment.

I have rogue beans growing.  I have no idea how this happened but I'm going to let them grow.

I'm still harvesting tomatoes, perilla and Korean peppers (lots of peppers!) and the last of the melons....

Also happening in the garden....

I have established beneficial insects!!  I try to keep something flowering in the garden in hopes to attract good bugs.

My chives went to flower and soldier beetles showed up...

I found this giant, scary black and yellow Argiope orb spider hanging around my peppers.... as much as I wanted this gal to hang around (she's actually good for the garden) I have an issue with insects that are larger than an inch and she was probably at least 2 1/2 inches long.  The boy moved her elsewhere. :-P  I'm sure she'll be back since there is plenty to eat in my garden.  





No comments:

Post a Comment