The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Good, The Bad And the Cute

SOOOOOO... There's been a little breaky break. I've been working a new job that has me working very late into the night sometimes and it's just now that I've gotten used to the new hours. I also usually work on the weekends, so this is my first Saturday off. I hope to be more consistent with this blog now since I'm not so exhausted. Anyhoo...

The garden. I don't know what the heck is going on with the garden. This year has been weird. Things that usually grow well haven't. I don't know if it's the soil or if I need to buy new seeds now since seeds do have a shelf life. There are good things happening though and surprising things...

Well, the one thing that seems to be consistent every year is my melon patch. I did add a lot of manure this season to condition it for my melon/watermelon/winter squash combo patch...
That monstrosity in the foreground is my winter squash taking over. Again.

My watermelons have been great. I chose to raise ice box size watermelons so the whole plant has stayed compact.
The stripey one is the Japanese cream fleshed suika and other one is the Sweet Siberian.

My other surprise is the Zatta melon...
I can't wait until this one gets ripe. I found a second melon that might have been pollinated but it's been growing really slow. I think this giant guy took all of the energy and nutrients.

So, there are definitely areas in my garden that I just love. I wish at some point, that all my raised beds can look like these spots but this year, I don't know.... there are bare spots in some of my raised beds and it just looks bad. REALLY BAD to the point I don't want take pics of them.  I want my raised beds to look like this all of the time :-(....
This is my cowpea corner. I LOVE this little corner. The cowpeas are doing so well as did the marigolds next to them. Hopefully, they'll flower soon and produce a ton of drying beans.

Or I want it to look like this...

This is my epazote/marigold corner in my herb bed. I couldn't believe how well the marigold plants grew. This was the first time I started marigolds from seed. They looked pretty scrawny as seedlings but BAM! They just took to the beds and flourished. This guy is so nice and big that our resident baby bunny has decided that it's his spot...

The bunny also has decided that his other sweet spot is in my squash plants...

The biggest surprise....
LEMONGRASS. I heard that it was really hard to grow lemongrass from seed. Ummm... yeah. I don't think so. 

Happy weekend!









No comments:

Post a Comment