The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Friday, September 5, 2014

Sourdough Discard: Brownies!!

Yes, I made brownies with my sourdough starter discard! They turn out a little more cakey than fudgy. But I imagine you can add more chocolate chips and less flour, too. Now I am super, super picky about brownies. SUPER picky. I don't like cakey brownies and I don't like gooey fudgy brownies. I like them right in between. This is my brownie recipe but I substituted part of the flour with starter.

Sourdough Starter Discard Brownies:

5 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup butter
4 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/4 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Instant Espresso Powder
1/2 cup Sourdough Starter unfed
3/4 cup flour

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

In a large bowl, measure out 1/2 cup of starter discard and allow to warm up to room temperature.

In a separate mixing bowl, melt butter and chocolate chip until smooth.  Add espresso powder and cocoa powder until well mixed. In a separate bowl mix flour, eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt then add to the sourdough starter discard. Mix well then add the melted chocolate mix and fold until everything is well incorporated. Pour into baking pan.

Enjoy warm with ice cream and caramel sauce! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment