The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring is Here!!

SPRING!!  It's early but I'm hoping it's sticks around.  My biggest fear is that at the end of this month after I've planted my cool weather veggies, a freak blizzard will hit us- knock on wood! Well, at this point, I just want to enjoy the weather and watch mother nature in action. This past week, we were in the 80s for half of the week and with the warm weather, my yard exploded with plant life almost overnight!

When we first moved in to our current abode, the front of the house was a little drab.  There were a couple of sad looking rose bushes and some trees and lots of weeds! I planted tulips in the fall last year to the right of the house and crossed my fingers.....


Towards the end of Feb., these guys showed up!

On the other side of the house, I planted 2 columbines.  I started growing columbines from seeds but only 3 survived after the wind knocked over the greenhouse a month ago so I thought I'd just go ahead and buy plants to fill that space until my columbines were strong enough to plant.


The front and back yards are filled with weeds that have bloomed with tiny flowers that are attracting the first bees.  In the front by our walkway, I discovered tiny purple flowers that I think are violets that have sprung up in patches...

And fields of these tiny white flowers that look like mini violets or violas...


I finally set up one of my raised beds yesterday...

I'm hoping to start my lettuces and daikon radishes next weekend. The whole neighborhood is buzzing with gardening activity and it's so nice to see everyone out and planting up a storm. I'm definitely sore from hauling dirt but it felt so good being out and working.  Can't wait for next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment