The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day!!

Today is rainy, rainy, rainy!!  I love it because for the past week, it's been dry and hot and even with daily deep watering, the plants were looking a bit sad.  Everything seems to be growing alright except for my spinach.  I think I'm going to count them as a loss and replant spinach for the fall.  My kale was recently attacked by cabbage worms but thankfully, I've been able to pull them off before they totally eat all of the plants.  My cucumbers and zucchini just started sprouting and I planted my napa cabbage.  I also got a surprise this morning...

What's sad is that this little bunny used to have a partner in crime but I haven't seen him/her for a while.  I'm suspecting the other bunny may have gotten run over or eaten (we have hawks hanging around). They used to hop over from across the street (we've watched them) and make a bee-line to our yard.  I was going to put up a fence to keep the critters out, but I feel like I can figure out a way to garden harmoniously with the wildlife in the neighborhood.  The birds that we attract seem to be eating the bugs, the rabbit seems to be eating only the weeds and grass, and I've started to see ladybugs and hover flies hanging about.  I think I can do this. 

Happy Earth Day Everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment