The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Garden Update

So the bunny that's been living in my yard left us a surprise....
It's nice to know that the bunnies feel safe enough in our yard to leave their kid with us, but seriously?  He/she is freak'n cute, though!!

The garden is doing well so far.  I've only had to battle cabbage loopers that seem to like my kale more than my collards.  And speaking of collards, this morning was my first harvest this season!!!
After washing them, I took a little nibble and they were GOOD!!  I was worried that they would be a bit bitter since our winter was so warm and it's only getting even warmer now but they were amazing!  I don't think I've ever tasted collards that were that flavorful.

This is how my first bed is looking right now.  The zucchini and cucumbers are just starting to sprout in the back.
This is my second bed.  We had a week of straight rain.  Rain almost day after day and all of a sudden my spinach started to sprout!! I'm so excited that I may have a crop after all. :-)  In the front section, I've covered it with black landscaping fabric to warm up the soil for watermelons!! Also, I'm hoping in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to transplant my tomato seedlings into individual containers and start pots of California poppies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment