The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Felt Pots vs Plastic Pots

May 2012
So I bought these felt growing pots because 1) They had rave reviews about plants growing bigger and better and leaping over tall buildings. 2) They were fairly cheap 3) I thought they would be great since they fold up so they don't take up a whole lot of space.  Well...... 

I have to say, I'm not too impressed.  Here are some of the plants now....
These are the Korean peppers.  I had to restart these guys since the seedlings yellowed and just up and died.  They were both planted at the same time and the one in the plastic pot is SOOOO much bigger and healthier.
These are my paprika peppers and it's the same thing.  The one in the pot has started to flower already while the one in the felt pot is just starting to form flowers.
These are the green zebra tomatoes. These were also planted at the same time, fed the same fertilizer, etc. and yet the one in the plastic pot is bigger and fruiting while the one in the felt pot is just starting to form flowers and maybe one tomato has started to form, maybe? Basically, all of the tomato plants that I've planted this way are showing the same results. The ones in the plastic pots are growing much better than the ones in the felt pots.

I'm still hopeful these felt pots are worthy of keeping/buying because they would save me so much space!  Right now, I'm not feeling 'em.  Maybe later on in the season, I'll have a different opinion.  OH, by the way, the things sticking into the pots are glass beer bottles.  It's been so freaking hot in these parts that I just got tired of watering the garden using a watering can (we don't have access to a water source outside) so I decided to re-use my beer and wine bottles and make watering globes.  They've worked really well so far! They are great as delivery systems for liquid fertilizer, too!

ALSO....  my cosmos finally bloomed!!!
These are not your standard cosmos, although I am growing them behind these guys.  These are an heirloom variety called Bright Lights.  They are shorter, about 1 to 2 ft. tall and blooms these magnificent orange to yellow-orange flowers!  Some even start off as a dark reddish-orange!
Mini vase of Bright Lights
I will definitely be growing these again!  Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment