The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Summer Garden Clean Up

This morning I got up super early to beat the heat!  Summer hit us quicker than we all expected this year.  We're in the 90s again this weekend and just stepping out at 7 am this morning, you can feel that it'll be a hot one today.  Thankfully, they're saying it won't be as bad as yesterday, which felt like you were swimming through air.... it was pretty gross. Anyhow, this morning I wanted to do a little clean up in the garden.  Many of my early spring crops except the kale and collards have gone to seed.  My napa cabbage went to seed pretty early in the season, my spinach came next, then the arugula.  Right now, I'm waiting for the arugula seed pods to dry up to collect.  I kind of gave up on the napa.  Besides, I wasn't sure that the napa was a hybrid or not.  The spinach... well, the rabbits kept eating it so I really don't have anything left.  I went ahead and pulled out the left over stubs of the spinach plants and pulled out the napa cabbage plant...
To make remove for this guy....

This behemoth is the watermelon plants!!! OMG!!  It started spilling out of the bed a couple of days ago.  And literally, every day this thing was just getting bigger!!
I knew the plants were going to vine out, but it was like one day my 3 manageable watermelon plants were contained and content and then all of sudden the next day it was spilling out!  It started to bloom pretty little yellow flowers yesterday and I found the first signs of watermelons...

I have to say, I'm a little curious about how much the watermelons will take over the yard.... and I think I may let it.  I hate grass anyway, so if I get a backyard of just watermelons, I think I'll be o.k. with that!
Next to the watermelons are the nasturtiums, which did the same thing!  The 4 plants just exploded!
They look a little messy due to being wind blown from last night's storm.  Now that I know how big these guys get, I am so not planting them so close to each other!

I also went ahead and pulled out the rest of my kale plants.  I love kale, but I think I'm done eating it for a while.  This is the last of the kale....
The space where the kale used to be will give my zucchini plants some more room to spread out.
I had a rough start with the cucumbers but I have the first signs of fruit...
My sugar snap peas are back and producing even more now...
And amazingly, I was able to harvest a good handful of peas from the original plant that I had placed in a vase of water...
Growing corn has been difficult.  I keep losing corn plants.  I may call it quits and if any corn survive, I'll be happy but if not, I'll try next year.  The pole beans are doing well at least.
So next on my list is to build a fence.  I want to protect the watermelons and of course my other crops from critters.  The rabbits have been getting bolder these days.  'sigh'  Also, I think I may have to mulch especially if the summer will be blazing hot, which they say it will be this year.  There is so much to do! :-)


2 comments:

  1. impressed, as always. can't wait to see it in person in a few weeks. i expect only watermelons, no grass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I can't wait until you come down, too!! The watermelons may take over the house at the rate the thing is growing. Bring a machete!

    ReplyDelete