The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Brazilian Breakfast Sandwich

Collards.  I really don't get tired of collards but I'm always looking for creative ways to use it.  The garden has been giving me a fresh supply and even well into June when all my other cole crops are bolting, the collards keep producing.


One of my favorite ways is to have it for breakfast!!  Yes, BREAKFAST!! The first time I had collards for breakfast was back in Los Angeles.  Have I mentioned how I miss Los Angeles?  I don't miss the traffic or smog or those crazy Hollywood obsessed people who either live there or visit there, but I miss the weather, the food and most of all my friends.  On Saturdays when there were no plans and I could take a day to relax, the boy and I would go to Cafe Brasil on Venice Blvd. for brunch and have a Brazilian breakfast.

So what does a Brazilian breakfast from Cafe Brasil consist of?  Warm eggs scrambled with diced tomatoes, chopped collards, and Parmesan cheese, cheese buns (my fave), toasted bread with butter, plantains, mango juice and Brazilian coffee.  Yum.  And YES! Collards chopped and scrambled in the eggs!  It's SOOOOO good in scrambled eggs!  So this was breakfast this morning... 
Brazilian scrambled egg breakfast sandwich!!  And Brazilian coffee! Thankfully, there are plenty of Hispanic markets now where I can find Pilao!!  For a LONG time, I had cravings for that rich, smooth Brazilian coffee and didn't think I could find it in good ole Richmond, but there it was! One day, I'll learn how to make the cheese buns.  I haven't looked but I'm hoping I can find manioc flour now and have a full Cafe Brasil style breakfast. 

Anyhow, the scrambled eggs are easy!  Chop up collard leaves, not the stems, and dice tomatoes.  Fry the collards and tomatoes with a little salt and pepper until the collards are soft.  Whisk a couple of eggs with a splash of milk and pour into the pan with the collards and tomatoes.  Add Parmesan cheese to taste and stir the mixture until the eggs are cooked. 

That's it!  This morning I toasted an English muffin and lightly buttered both sides before topping with the eggs.  Voila!  Breakfast is served!  I never thought of collards in the morning but it is fantastic and so good for you!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment