The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Update: Garlic the Wild Card

Last year, I had my garden planned out.  I knew what I wanted to grow and incorporated experimental vegetables and fruit and then, my cousin gave me giant cabbages; a veggie I had no plans to grow at all.... the wild card. I gave away 3 and kept 1 and surprisingly, even with neglect and cabbage worms, I harvested a cabbage.

This year, I planted garlic in the beginning of March!  I couldn't help it.  I have problems.  I saw them at my local nursery; an Italian Late that was supposed to mature in the middle of the summer.  Like I said, I have problems.  So, I read the instructions on the package and looked on the web for tips and planted them not expecting a whole lot, but yesterday morning....
GARLIC!!!  I was quite surprised.  I think I planted 18 cloves.  Too much?  I don't know.  I was thinking that I would probably lose half the crop from sheer ignorance, but so far, I think at least 10 have sprouted.  EXCITING!!  I think as I continue to garden, and I hope it's a life long venture, I will probably always have a wild card!  I can't help it and I also think it's a good thing to challenge your abilities so add a wild card and see what happens!!  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment