The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, July 14, 2013

July 2013: Garden Update

It's July already!! Where did the time go?  I LOVE July because the watermelons and melons are in full swing!!  I spent the 4th with family and left the garden to do its own thang.  I came back to total chaos!!  With all of the rain we've been getting, the garden just went crazy and took over the yard. I LOVE IT!!  That's my kind of chaos!! Nature taking back the hood. The grass and weeds were so overgrown in the melon/watermelon bed and my winter and summer squash plants just took off crawling out of the beds!!!

These are the summer and winter squash plants. 



My melon/watermelon bed when I got back from the 4th.  The grass just took over and you can barely see the plants.  What's fun is discovering that melons are hiding in the grass!! I think I found 7 new melons- mostly the French cantaloupe variety- hidden among the tall grass.
Here is the bed after I spent a day trimming grass and weeds.

The tomatoes took off as well.  They've completely overtaken my trellis system!

These are the Yellow Brandywines.  There are Korean melon plants in the middle somewhere.  The tomatoes are so heavy that they keep pulling branches down.  I can't wait to try one of the tomatoes!

This is my Evergreen tomatoes and cukes.  Although, the tomatoes are totally overtaking the cuke plants.
It's almost time to harvest garlic!!  So excited.  I went ahead and uncovered the garlic bulbs to allow them to dry and to keep them from molding due to the heavy rain we've been getting. 

I've planted more carrots.  These are Kyoto Reds.

I actually have zinnias!!  I thought they would never grow since the squirrels kept digging everything up in my flower bed. 

It's also time for planning and starting seedlings for the fall.  I already have kale, collards, napa cabbages and Swiss chard seedlings in the greenhouse.  They can probably be planted out in a couple of weeks!! Busy, busy, busy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment