The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, January 19, 2014

2014 Obession: DIY Natural Toiletries

Last year I discovered soapmaking.

In a big way.  I have become totally obsessed now with the process and the final product.  It's not only so much fun, but it feeds part of my creative side as well as the wanna-be chemist in me.  That and since I've been using my homemade soaps on the regular, I can't go back to the store bought stuff.

I can't even begin to tell you how my skin has changed.  I no longer have issues with dry skin at least not to the extent that I had before discovering real soap.  I used to develop patchy dry spots, especially during the winter, and now most of the patchy spots have disappeared and I've only been using my soaps for about 6 months now.  From the soaps, I started looking into DIY moisturizers.  And boy has that changed me life as well!!  I am absolutely obsessed with the moisturizers/lotions now, too.  My skin has greatly improved and I know exactly what's on my skin. 

I am so deep into DIY toiletries that I've been testing different recipes to find facial creams that have the exact properties that I want.  The texture of my skin has completely changed.  It's smoother and hydrated.  It's been a LONG time since I've been happy with my skin.

Next on the list, is a deodorant for the boy.  I don't use deodorants or antiperspirants because I am part of the 2% of the population that doesn't create the B.O. bacteria -one less thing to worry about for me. Thank Gaawwd! But the boy has been incredibly unhappy with the commercially made stuff as well as some of the natural products available.  So, I have been tasked with this challenge and I am now on a mission!!  

I am hoping this year to throw out most of the unnatural, commercially made stuff that's been irritating my skin and replacing them with natural, homemade products suitable for me and the boy.  It's gonna be fun and challenging!

No comments:

Post a Comment