The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Seed Starting: Onions

I started my onions in January as usual but unfortunately, the winter has been lousy.  Last year, I started scallions and red onions in plastic water jug "green houses" and they did really really well.

So I did it again this year.

I generally cover the jugs with a plastic bag and set them outside but since it was so cold this year, they didn't germinate.  At the end of the month, I brought the jugs back indoors to see if they would germinate sometime in February.  Lo and behold, the day after I brought the jugs back in, three of the four varieties started to sprout.  The three- leeks, shallots and red onions- are growing really well.


THIS unfortunately, is the yellow onions.  Absolutely nothing.  I even added more seeds just in case the original seeds had rotted from being wet and cold for so long. I'll give it a week. If they don't germinate, I may not try this variety again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment