The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Ginger + Turmeric= A Bit O Spring

It's BEAUTIFUL outside!!  I've been so out of wack during this long winter and now with the sun and warmer weather this weekend, I feel like I'm getting back to my old self!  So what's been up??  A lot of seed starting. That's what!  And in addition to the usual suspects, I decided to try growing my own ginger and turmeric. :-)  On my windowsill, I have organic turmeric and ginger rhizomes ready to plant.

Apparently, it's quite easy to grow your own ginger and turmeric.  You just stick the rhizomes into some rich soil either outdoors if you live in a really warm, humid zone or in containers.  I am growing them in containers.  I'm in zone 7B and it gets pretty hot and humid during the summer but it's not hot and humid enough year round to keep these guys outside. 

OH!  And I got a little surprise this week.  I had totally forgotten that I had itty bitty red onions from last season.  My red creole onions did not do well but I ended up picking and drying what little bulbs I had.  I discovered them in my onion bin last week.  I only had one semi plump, healthy bulb so I stuck it in some water.

Check it out!!  I have an onion set!  It started vigorously sprouting roots within a day or so.  Amazing.  So I am going to try to plant this guy when I plant out my onions started from seeds and see what happens.  Maybe I'll get at least one red onion this year!!  So excited for the growing season to start.   



No comments:

Post a Comment