The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, March 29, 2014

It's SPRING: Seedling Madness!

Seedlings are EVERYWHERE in my house right now.  Those giant gangly things are the giant sunflowers. They're giant and fast growing. Did I mention they're GIANT!? I think they've been on my windowsill for about a week and half? Maybe?  For me, it is SPRING!  If we get another round of snow, I will still be outside in my garden boots, pretending that it is Spring and 60 degrees out!  I am going to garden dammit.  I am willing it.

I did set up more raised beds and I would show you pics but it's pouring rain right now. One of the new raised beds has my white onion sets planted in them and I'm slowly transplanting and direct sowing vegetables.  This morning, I woke up wicked early to get out there before the major rainfall started to transplant my lettuces and Korean mustards (jeok gat) that had been overwintered.  I was also going to divide my scallions that I had also overwintered but then it started to pour.  Being a psycho gardener, I may go out there anyway. I'll think about it.

I do know my radishes, my shelling peas (English peas) and sugar snaps are coming up. I'm very excited!

In the house....
Tomatoes!!! I'm growing 6 varieties this year. Two, I've grown before, the Amish Paste (I want to make a lot of marinara sauce this year) and Riesentraube cherry tomatoes. The others, Black Krim, Isis Candy (a bi-color cherry tomato), Mary Robinson's German Bi-color, and Great White. The Great White is what I'm looking forward to trying.  It's supposed to taste like a mix of pineapple, guava, and melon!!  I'm also re-starting leeks and shallots.  The horrible winter really took a toll on the onions, which is the reason for using sets this year.  I also have watermelons starting and lemongrass!!

Out on the porch hardening off...
Kale, collards, giant southern mustards, and purple broccoli. They'll probably be transplanted at the end of this week!

So IN YOUR FACE WINTER!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment