The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Garden Update: What's Growing + Surprises

I think Spring will finally stick? I hope? My allergies say so, but we've been so back and forth regarding temperatures. One day it'll be 80 degrees then drop to the 60s again. Totally schizo, which in turn makes my seedlings schizo! By this time last year, my Chinese long beans were already sprouting and squash seeds were planted. I was transplanting peppers and tomatoes out this time, too- it's so not the case this year. The soil has been so chilly that what I've planted out like collards, kale and peas have stunted in growth. The cool weather crops are stunted!!! Hence my absence from posting lately.  I've been fretting over this weather and my crops surviving. Freaking a little that I've planted out too early. That I will lose my food for the year. :-(

This little mustard plant, should actually be much bigger by now. I'm just glad that they're greening up again.

For a couple of weeks, the leaves were turning purplish red. So, either the soil was too cold, which I believe was the reason, or the plants weren't getting enough phosphorous. Of course, I went out early one day, weather still cool, to add bone meal and water with Epsom salt. My collards and kale were looking just as sick. I did the same for them. And then I crossed-my-fingers hoping it wasn't my soil but the freak'n weather. They look better now. It was really touch and go for a minute. I went out every morning to check the progress, squishing slugs, picking weeds, snotty and sneezing....miserable but determined to make sure my food survived.

In the process of nursing my crops, I discovered some surprises...

This is chamomile!!! I planted chamomile 2 years ago. TWO years!! This guy just popped up.

The first of the nasturtiums coming up.
My scallions have decided to go to seed. I did plant some more seeds the other day because of it. I'm hoping to allow the seeds to drop and reseed this fall!! The scallions are mixed in with my carrots.

Calendula! I'm trying to plant a variety of flowers for the bees this year.

These are my over wintered red leaf lettuces. They should be ready to pick in a couple of days. They are healthy and beautiful!!

I have to say, carrots and lettuces have never failed me every year. The slugs don't bother the lettuces and I've never had problems growing carrots despite others complaining about germination. At this moment, I have 5 different varieties of carrots growing. I just wish I could eat them raw without having my throat close. :-(

And a glimpse of late spring and summer to come...
Happy Sunday!








No comments:

Post a Comment