The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Cream Drop Biscuits with Thyme

Last night, I was being a lazy cook. I really, really didn't feel like cooking. One of my easy go to recipes for a fast dinner is to boil boneless chicken thighs in BBQ sauce. Any BBQ sauce will usually work as long as it's not too thick. So that's what I did last night, but I also wanted some starch to go with it. I'm not big on potatoes. I'm just not. So I decided to make drop biscuits. You know the kind you don't have to make with yeast. It's really quick to make.
I don't have good pics BTW, cuz we pretty much devoured them and it didn't even occur to me to take photos because I also doctored a recipe so I thought the biscuits would be a disaster.


I should've known that adding heavy whipping cream and thyme butter would never make anything taste bad.

Anyway, I am not a baker. I tend to change recipes a lot. About two years ago, I made thyme butter and put it in the freezer. I had so much thyme growing in 2012 it was insane!  I decided I needed to use up that thyme butter last night. I also had a little bit of whole milk on hand and heavy whipping cream and voila.... cream drop biscuits with thyme! I think rosemary would be good in this biscuit, too. And of course the boy thought cheese would be nice as well!!

Cream Drop Biscuits with Thyme:

2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 cup Dried Thyme or herb of your choice
1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 cup Whole Milk

Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Cut in the butter until flour is crumbly. Add herb(s) and mix until evenly distributed. Add milk and cream and mix until the dough just comes together.  If the dough still looks a bit dry, add more milk or cream. Use a spoon and drop biscuit dough onto parchment lined or aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on the bottom.

These are super good just out of the oven. You don't even need more butter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment