The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Korean Spicy Chive Salad

Every year, my garlic chives never fail me. My chives actually spread and multiplied like crazy this year. I have chives coming up in areas of my raised beds that shouldn't be right now. Today, I decided to harvest a small portion of chives and make spicy chive salad.

Garlic chives are great. If you don't have garlic around, you can chop up the chives and throw them into your stir fry or whatever and you'll get a mild garlicky flavor. I like adding chives to kimchi recipes, too. Making a batch of kimchi is next on my list of things to do. This chive salad is quick and easy to make.

Korean Spicy Chive Salad:

Fresh garlic chives (about 5 to 8 oz. or 2 nice hand fulls)
1 garlic clove minced
2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. Korean pepper flakes (add more if you like it spicier)
1 tsp. sesame seeds
1 tsp. sesame oil

Mix the garlic, soy sauce, sugar, pepper flakes, sesame seeds and sesame oil in a container. Wash your fresh chives and them cut the chives into about 1 1/2 to 2 inch long pieces. Add the chives to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Adjust by adding more soy sauce or pepper flakes to taste. The chives will wilt slightly as they sit in the sauce. Eat immediately or store in refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment