The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Container Garden Summer Update

Here's how my not-so-little container garden is doing....

April 2011
June 2011
I've been going a little crazy with the plants.  Anytime I step into a Lowe's, Home Depot, or a garden center, I want to buy plants.  Within the last month, I bought a bee balm, salvia, sweet mint, and a small petunia plant. I planted rosemary, thai basil and sweet basil in one planter.  My dill finally came up and my cousin gave me one of her established strawberry plants. I love that it looks like a jungle out on my balcony these days but I think I need ease up on buying anymore plants.
strawberries
rosemary, thai basil and sweet basil
I originally planted marigolds and nasturtiums with my parsley and thyme.  Unfortunately the marigolds developed a white powdery mildew due to the rain so I had to pull them out.  I ended up planting more nasturtium seeds in its place. 
 
My peppers finally turned green and started flowering!! When I originally got them, they weren't really growing and the leaves were turning yellow.  
April 2011
June 2011
The peppers still haven't grown much, but they're finally a dark green.  In addition to worm castings, I added bone meal and I've been spraying the foliage with a solution of epsom salt diluted in water. I've only been doing this for about 2 weeks now and already, the peppers are looking much happier.

Indoors, I'm growing Vietnamese coriander. 
 
Vietnamese Coriander

Vietnamese coriander tastes like cilantro but with a slight citrus flavor. I've tried growing cilantro TWICE now and have not been successful. Vietnamese coriander is much easier to grow!!  You can put a couple of branches in a jar of water and they'll start to develop roots within a week or two. You can then transplant them into a pot. The coriander can be bought from your local Vietnamese or Asian grocery store.  I think I bought a bag for $1.50.  In Vietnamese, it's called rau răm.

It's been amazing to watch all of my plants grow! No more black thumb!!

No comments:

Post a Comment