The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tea with a side of Composting

For the last 3 or 4 months, I've been trying my hand at composting in a bucket.  I started with some left over worm castings with dead leaves in a little red bucket.  I added some dead vegetation when I started pruning my container garden, dirt and paper products.
Well, things were going well, at first, but then it rained a lot for days on end, the bucket started getting a little stinky and attracting flies/gnats.  So I added more dirt, mixed it a bit and added holes for drainage.  I ended up having to let things dry out a bit but continued to add clippings from my garden as plants either died or I killed- like my perillas :-(  So this is how it's looking now....

I moved the bucket to the sunniest side of my balcony and I decided to keep it uncovered as it gets pretty damn hot in the south.  We'll see how things progress, but if it works, it will be a nice addition to composting with my worms.  I can just dump whatever my worms won't or can't eat and I'll reduce even more waste!!!  Speaking of worms, this morning I decided to make tea, specifically Worm Tea! A handful of castings wrapped in a cheesecloth baggy added to some warm water and voila!

Looks like I'm making sun tea!  I guess it's pretty appropriate for summer in the south!

No comments:

Post a Comment