The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Monday, June 20, 2011

Dulce de Leche Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches

I am a tiny bit obsessed with sweetened condensed milk dulce de leche.  It's easy and so so yummy!!  I originally found out how to make dulce de leche through the Ravenous Couple Cooking blog: http://www.theravenouscouple.com/.  They also posted a recipe for dulce de leche ice cream but since I am slightly lactose intolerant, ice cream usually doesn't sit well with me. :-(  BUT, I can eat frozen yogurt!! Even though there is a little cream or milk added to most froyo recipes, compared to the heavy cream and milk in ice cream, I can handle some frozen yogurt!

Then I had fond memories of ice cream sandwiches as a child and I started really craving ice cream sandwiches, soooooo...... why not make frozen yogurt sandwiches!!

I decided to make coffee flavored cookies cuz I really love adding dulce de leche to my coffee; but instead of making a cookie from scratch, I cheated.  I bought a sugar cookie mix and added 4 Tablespoons of instant coffee dissolved in about 4 Tablespoons of hot water. I highly recommend using instant espresso- my local grocery store didn't have it. Booo. 

I used the recipe for the dulce de leche ice cream but replaced the 1 cup of heavy cream with 1 cup of half and half; and the 2 cups of milk with 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt.  I heated the half and half on low heat then added 1 1/3 cup of dulce de leche stirring constantly until the dulce de leche melted.

Once the dulce de leche mixture cooled, I added the 2 cups of yogurt and vanilla.  I chilled the mixture in the fridge for about 1 hr. before pouring it into my ice cream maker for 30 minutes.  During the last 5 minutes, I spooned in about 1/3 cup of dulce de leche for some chunks of caramelly goodness. After 30 minutes, the mixture didn't quite freeze so I poured the thickened mixture into a container and put it in the freezer overnight before making the sandwiches. Although the sandwiches were delicious, I think next time I make this, I'm definitely going to use instant espresso powder and maybe a bit of dark cocoa to make the cookies. I think a much stronger coffee flavor would be even better with the frozen yogurt. Also, I may use plain yogurt instead of Greek yogurt.  I think a plain yogurt would freeze a little better in the ice cream maker, but damn it was yummy on a hot summer day!!!

3 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMM!!!! I want that right now. We haven't used our ice cream maker in so long. I need to get that started again. Dulce de leche is my favorite flavor! I've made frozen yogurt with Greek yogurt because supposedly that's what Pinkberry is - it was so good. The ice cream and yogurt is never the same consistency as the store-bought stuff, but it tastes better because you're in control of how much sugar, etc. goes into it. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Greek yogurt for frozen yogurt. I used a brand called Cabot's and it has that tanginess that totally reminds me of Los Angeles. I miss Los Angeles. :-( Anyway, thanks again for the ice cream maker!! I think we'll be using it quite a bit this summer!

    ReplyDelete