The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, June 15, 2013

June 2013: Garden Update

I love June.  My plants are filling out the raised beds and the summer crops are starting to fruit.  It's amazing and lush right now and by the end of this month, it'll be even better.... I hope!  Here's how the garden is looking now...
I don't know but writing everything I did last year may have paid off. Everything is growing a nice dark, healthy GREEN as opposed to the light green last year. I have consciously tried not to water too much and to fertilize regularly, which I royally failed to do last year.

My napa cabbages are almost ready to harvest and the zucchini plant is just starting to develop squashes.
I went ahead and pulled out my Asian greens at the beginning of the month as it was getting too hot and everything was bolting. Perfect since the cabbages needed more room and the zucchini plants were going to spread. 

My reisentraube tomatoes are just starting to develop fruits.
And my Korean peppers have their first peppers forming, too.
The Chinese long beans are starting to climb up the poles and blooming purple flowers.  The winter squashes surrounding the beans are starting to fill out as well. 

Best of all... the melons and watermelons!!  I'm so excited to see how well they are growing.  From day to day, the plants are just spreading like crazy!
This is the melon/watermelon bed 7 days ago.
This is what it looked like this morning.  I'm hoping it will take over my entire yard!! :-)

On another note, the baby bunnies come by occasionally since the mother bunny moved them out of our yard. 
The mother bunny seems to always be in our yard, though! Just hanging out.  She never runs when we're out there and sometimes she'll even fall asleep as we're working in the yard.  I guess we CAN all get along! 









No comments:

Post a Comment