The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, June 22, 2013

What's Growing: Watermelons, Melons and Long Beans

Things are happening overnight these days.  I love it!!  It's nice to see something you've never grown before do well like these Chinese Long Beans...

They are full of beans and growing like crazy!!  I'm surprised that they haven't been affected with mildew or insects by now. 

And of course, my favorite plants to grow are melons and watermelons.  I never liked watermelons until I started growing heirloom varieties.  They taste so much better than your conventional red/pink watermelons. 

This is Desert King, a yellow fleshed variety of watermelons...





This is Ananas d'Amerique a Chair Vert,  a variety of muskmelons that had been grown by Thomas Jefferson back in the day...




And this is a French melon, dusted with diatomaceous earth because of ants....

I'm hoping the muskmelons will be ready by mid-July and the watermelons should be ready by the end of July or beginning of August.  Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment