The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Arrival of Jack Frost in the Garden

The first frost came early this year!  Last year, the first frost came on Nov. 6th!!  This year, October 24th.  I think we're in for a bad winter!! BAD!  I'm O.K. with cold but snow?  Not really. 

Well, the one good thing that happened with the first frost is that my crazy, mind-of-its-own pumpkin plant finally croaked.
I thought at one point that it would start climbing up the house. :-P

It left me with two giant dark green pumpkins.  This is the largest of the two...
I have no idea if this is the color it's supposed to be when mature but at this point, there's no more time.  This pumpkin is the Korean squash/pumpkin.

Every fall/winter I plant a plethora of lettuces.  For some reason, they do so well in my garden...

There's minimal damage from slugs (my nemesis) and they just flourish especially when planted in my older beds.  I assume the soil has been conditioned enough for the lettuces to thrive.  I did plant lettuce seeds and seedlings in one of the newer beds and they're just barely growing right now. 

By next weekend, I'll be setting up the plastic to extend the growing season and really cleaning up the yard.  I'm waiting for our big oak tree to drop leaves to utilize them for composting and mulch this season.  I hate the winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment