The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Egg Carton Seed Starting + Sprouts!

I'm very adamant about reusing/recycling. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out creative ways to reuse things but it dawned on me a couple of months ago that those plastic egg cartons (see below) could be great containers for seed starting! So last week I decided to start some seeds.  Totally experimental and not knowing if this would actually work.  I am totally new to gardening.



 These egg cartons have an inner covering for the eggs that makes a perfect mini greenhouse!


I ripped the lid off to use as a drainage tray.  I poked a hole in the bottom of each egg cup and lined the cups with a moistened disk of newsprint.  I added seed starting soil and added my lettuce blend seeds in one row and added parsley seeds in the other row.  Added a little more soil, water and closed the lid.


This morning I woke up to this......

My first lettuce sprouts!! The parsley hasn't sprouted yet, but honestly, the seeds are about 3 years old now.  I'd actually be surprised if they sprouted at all. Yay! I'm so happy right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment