The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Monday, March 28, 2011

Toilet Paper Roll Seed Starting

So, I was WRONG about my parsley seeds that I had started in my egg carton seed starting container.  It turned out that they weren't dead! About a week or so ago, I started seeing them pop up in the egg carton.  I had planted some more seeds in a separate pot, but since neither of the seeds seemed to germinate, I threw some lettuce seed mix on top of the supposed dead parsley seeds.  Well, now I have parsley mixed in with my lettuces!
I decided this morning that it may be good to start some more parsley seeds and wanted to try the toilet paper roll method of seed starting. 


Apparently, the whole sh-bang can be planted in the ground or in my case, container, toilet paper roll and all.  
I ended up folding one end to make a little container.

Added moistened seed starting soil and seeds  I stuck them in a plastic container so they sit up.

Hopefully, I'll have parsley without lettuce in a month! And I guess if the toilet paper rolls don't break down when I plant them in a container later, I'll throw them in the worm bin and let the little guys eat away the paper! ;-)

5 comments:

  1. That's such a cool use of toilet paper rolls! I like that the "pot" you end up with is really pretty deep too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do like to reuse whenever possible. I read about using toilet paper rolls in a book called Grow Great Grub. The author runs the You Grow Girl blog. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. The "pot" does end up being pretty deep. I hope my containers are deep enough when I start planting them. I hear that you can do the same thing with paper egg cartons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about egg cartons too. But it seemed like that would be really shallow and I'd have to be watering all the time. I've picked up a few flats from the nursery over the years and I've been reusing those for my seeds as well as reusing the pony pack seedling containers I get vegetables in sometimes. That's worked pretty well. But I like that you can just plant the whole toilet roll right into the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too!! A lot of the appeal for trying the toilet paper roll is that you can just plant the whole thing! I'm definitely saving toilet paper rolls for next year. I wanted to buy flats to start my seeds, but I just didn't have the money at the time, so I'm glad we can use every day paper products this way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally going to start saving rolls too!

    ReplyDelete