The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Worm Poop and Mites!

Today, I had to check up on the worms!  Once again, these efficient consumers of my vegetal and paper waste are ready to harvest!

My original set of worms seem to have produced even more castings than the last harvest.  I also noticed, which isn't unusual, clusters of little brown mites on the edges of my bin.  They are completely harmless to the worms but compete for the food. 

I don't want the mites to get out of control and starve my worms, so I had to do a little pest control.  Usually, I just scoop up the mites and drown them in a bowl of water.

Mites drowning.  Sorry little guys.

I have no problems with them being in my bin, but I want the majority of the food to feed my worms and not mites!  Happy Earth Weekend Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment