The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Friday, April 29, 2011

Container Garden Update

Well, my humble beginnings to try to grow something was truly humble. My goal was really not to kill anything. I started with hand-me-down containers and 3 packets of seeds.  Some hand-me-down chives and a teeny tiny stonecrop plant.

Before
Now, my little balcony container garden has become my little gardening oasis.

Today!

In addition to my starting plants of lettuces, radishes, carrots, a couple of herbs and chives....

radishes and lettuces

  
carrots
thyme and parsley


My stonecrop is going crazy and now forming little tiny yellow flowers. Not to mention my chives, which I keep having to cut down now.

stonecrop
I have perilla plants, which are transplants from my mom's garden (my little seedling is still too young to plant right now).
Korean perilla or beef steak
And my recent new addition, which I also got from my mother, are pepper plants.  I think they're a Korean variety of long peppers.  Apparently, they aren't supposed to be spicy.


I really never thought I could get to this point. NEVER!!  I'm the one that can kill a cactus overnight.  I remember years ago, a friend gave me a plant for a house warming gift.  She specifically said, "There is no way you can kill this plant.  The lady at the garden center told me this."  I killed the poor thing in about 2 weeks. I've had psychological issues about growing plants due to years of murdering them. I truly believed that my black thumb, which I thought was not just black, but a crusty, charred thumb of death that would eventually fall off some day, would never change. Now I have a glimmer of hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment