The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Sank Your Battleship and You Better Believe I Will Do It Again!

Around noonish, I get HUNGRY.  Not just, I-think-I-need-something-to-eat kind of hungry but I-could-eat-a-horse kind of hungry.  And I am not a salad for lunch with a diet coke kind of a girl. So, today, the boyfriend and I decided to try The Black Sheep.  I first heard of the restaurant before moving back to the old hood from my friends, Anne and Tommy.  When we moved, friends here in Richmond raved about it as well. We were also warned that the place is tiny and usually packed.  Well, everyone was right, it was tiny, packed and the wait for a table was around 45 minutes, so we decided to get our order to go.  I chose the half portion of the CSS Virginia (fried chicken livers with a cabbage slaw and a remoulade sauce on a baguette) and the boyfriend got the half portion of the USS Brooklyn (jerk chicken with cabbage slaw topped with banana ketchup and peach chutney on a baguette). 
Holy Mother of God!! I couldn't believe this was a half portion!!! And the waitress handed ME the order.  I had to pass them over to the boyfriend cuz I couldn't carry them by myself- I was also chugging a coke at the time (no diet, please).


 

CSS Virginia
USS Brooklyn
Both "battleships" were damn delicious (these are not subs). The Brooklyn had a nice spicy kick but was balanced with the sweetness of the peach chutney and the tang of the banana ketchup.  The Virginia had a nice but not too overwhelming liver flavor. The slaw had a nice tanginess that complimented the livers really nicely!  The Black Sheep totally made my day! And no, I didn't eat the whole battleship. I probably could have, though! ;-) I highly recommend stopping in if you're ever in the hood. Make sure you bring your appetite!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I don't know why we waited so long. Apparently the breakfast/brunch is pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete