The Rants and Raves of a Foodie/Textilian/Worm Wrangler

rants. raves. & making stuff

Monday, July 18, 2011

Kimchi: Blender Version

I'm always searching for the right kimchi recipe. The first version I made was good but way too salty due to the kosher salt fiasco.  Since then, I've been searching for a better way to make it.  So, the other day, I had dinner with my mother, my aunt and my cousin and a conversation developed about kimchi, of course.  Kimchi is serious business in Korean culture; it's like BBQ in the south! Recipes were discussed and cooking books were pulled out and I soaked it all in!

From what I gathered from this discussion helped me develop this version.  I still wanted to find a recipe that excluded any fish products and of course, MSG.  Both my mother and my cousin, it turns out, like to put fish sauce in their kimchi.  Although, it's not totally unpleasant, I still prefer not to add it. I call this the "blender" version. It makes it so much easier to make the right kimchi "sauce" to add to the cabbage when using a blender.  I made kimchi about 3 days ago, and although it's not quite ripe, I tasted it today and I have to say, I think I found a winning recipe.  And, the boyfriend, who is completely picky about kimchi, actually approved of this version!!


Blender Kimchi:
1 head of napa cabbage
1 medium apple peeled and quartered ( I highly recommend using a Fuji apple)
2-4 Tablespoons of Korean pepper flakes
4 to 5 garlic cloves (or more if you love your garlic)
1 bunch scallion
1 small onion or half of large onion
1/2 inch long piece of fresh ginger, peeled
Approximately  4 Tablespoons of salt (either kosher or sea salt) + 1 teaspoon
1/4 cup water
There is no 6 hour salting of the cabbage!! I repeat, NO SALTING for 6 hours in this recipe!! YAY!

In a blender, add the onion, 1 garlic clove, apples, ginger and 1/4 cup water.  Liquefy or puree until everything is well blended. The mixture shouldn't be chunky.  Pour the mixture into a bowl and add 2 to 4 Tablespoons of the chili pepper flakes (more if you want it spicier) and 1 teaspoon of salt. Taste the "sauce".  It should taste spicy and pleasantly salty (salty like when you salt your food normally) with a hint of sweetness from the apples. If it isn't as salty as you like it, add a little more salt. Chop the scallions into 1 inch pieces and finely chop 3 to 4 garlic cloves and add to the kimchi sauce and stir.  Set aside.
Chop the napa cabbage into 1 inch pieces and place in a large bowl.  Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons of the salt onto the cabbage and stir.  Add 2 more Tablespoons of salt and allow the cabbage to sit for 15 to 20 minutes or until some liquid is produced and you see the cabbage reduce in volume. Taste the cabbage and liquid.  The cabbage should taste pleasantly salty and the liquid from the cabbage should taste a bit saltier. If it's too salty, add water to taste and of course, if it's not salty enough, add salt, but remember, the kimchi sauce is also salted.
Pour the sauce onto the cabbage and mix thoroughly.  Pack into two clean 1 quart jars making sure to leave about 1 inch space at the top of the jar.  Make sure to divide the kimchi liquid evenly between the jars. Cover with plastic wrap and push out all of the air. Screw on lid and allow to sit at room temperature for about 2 days.  Because the cabbage will continue to release liquid, you will see the cabbage float and you may see leakage due to carbonation that will occur. As soon as you see your kimchi floating or the jars about to bust, place your kimchi in the fridge. 

I SWEAR this is the best homemade vegetarian kimchi I've ever made!  It is totally a combo of my mother's method of making kimchi (she likes adding apples for sweetness instead of sugar), of what I've learned through trial and error, and recipes I've seen in books.  Kimchi making is all about your taste, too. If you like it saltier or spicier, all of the seasonings can be adjusted. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment